Thursday, May 3, 2012

Raw French Toast or Bread Base!

Versatile Bread

This recipe can be used for a variety of things. I use this as a basic starting point for garlic bread, pizza, french toast or cinnamon rolls. All you have to do is change the flavor and this bread can be used for anything you need. The dough molds perfectly into any shape and I have a special trick to help you spread the bread in no time. I will make the cinnamon roll recipe next so you can use this bread recipe and I will show you how to make the cashew filling and macadamia icing. Update: Here's the blog! Raw food is exciting!


Basic Bread
1 cup flax seed ground
1-1/4 cup almond flour/cashews ground
1 cup sunflower seeds ground
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup water add more if needed
1/4 cup coconut nectar
3 tbsp oil (grapeseed, olive, sunflower)
a pinch of sea salt
-Cinnamon french toast flavors

2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla bean

Date Paste
5 dates
1/4 cup water


Tip: This bread is a soft bread, if you use too much water it won't hold up as well as it should. If you want a crispier bread I have found that replacing any of the dry ingredients with soaked buckwheat groats makes a crispier dough that I very much enjoy as well.
Grind all of the nuts and seeds and put it into a mixing bowl. Next separately blend the dates and 1/4c water. Lastly mix the rest of the ingredients into the mixing bowl and mix well.

You can easily add any spice or herb you'd like, such as rosemary, garlic, basil, and onion for the pizza crust. Sometimes I even add a tomatoes instead of water to give the dough a sweeter taste. For garlic bread I normally use the same spices in the bread but when I flip it to the other side I spread a garlic sauce made of grapeseed oil, a pinch of salt, garlic, and nutritional yeast.

Now it's time to roll the dough evenly to a 1/4 in thick. This trick has helped me out so much. I went from a spoon, to a spatula, to something even better. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the dough. Get these rolling pin rings for $7.50 which comes with a variety of sizes so your dough comes out even every time. When your done rolling out your dough use a spoon or offset spatula to shape the edges, wether you make a crust for pizza or just finish the edges

Dehydrate for 1-2 hours on the first side then flip it and dehydrate the other side for 1-2 hours. (if you want an herbed bread sprinkle your seasoning before it's done dehydrating). You can cut shapes like garlic sticks, circles, squares or whatever you like!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Great recipe! I'm a raw vegan newbie over here lol & I just made Ani Phyo's Black Sesame & Sunflower Bread which reminds me of this recipe. Yours sounds delicious btw..a must try! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm a sesame & sunflower bread sounds amazing, I just might have to try that! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! If you try this recipe let me know how it turns out and what you used it for! Enjoy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use this recipe to make those yummy "flax rolls" stuffed with yam or lentil mixtures ?

    ReplyDelete